Large Gas Leak Causes Temporary Evacuation of About 50 Homes
Norwood Police and Fire responded to a damaged gas line at about 3 p.m. Tuesday at Lenox St. and Hillside Ave., and evacuated about 50 homes as a precaution.
A large gas leak caused the evacuation of about 50 homes in Norwood around 3 p.m. Tuesday, according to the Norwood Fire Department.
The call for the gas leak came in at 2:55 p.m. at the intersection of Lenox Street and Hillside Avenue, Norwood Fire spokesman George Morrice said in an email late Tuesday night. Norwood Fire apparatus were on scene within minutes.
"Norwood Fire Captain Michael Costello found a construction crew had hit an unmarked underground high pressure gas main," Morrice said. "Firefighters had to go door to door evacuating residents and daytime business workers from the potential danger zone."
The streets affected were Lenox Street, Lenox Avenue, Hillside Avenue., Allen Road and a section of Pleasant Street. The gas company responded and had the leak shut off within an hour - a longer time frame due to difficulty finding the shut off valves of the older unmarked gas line.
Morrice said fire crews cleared the scene at 5:29 p.m.
"No one was injured in the incident and residents were expected to be able to return to their homes," he said. "Repair crews are expected to be working throughout the night."
At the selectmen meeting Tuesday evening, Selectman Helen Abdallah Donohue and other members of the board thanked Norwood Police and Fire, as well as the gas company and all involved for their quick response to a messy situation.