Patch Picks: The Norwood Patch Summer Playlist
We put together a list of favorite summer songs for the summer 2011.
Patch Picks highlights editor and reader picks of great local businesses, destinations, services, organizations, ways to spend a day off, and more.
This weekly feature provides lists to help you, your family, friends, and significant others find the best places for everything from Sunday brunch to New Year’s Eve celebrations, pumpkin patches, date night destinations, florists, girlfriend nights out, kids party places, parks and more.
Being that this week marks the official start of summer, we asked for your favorite summer songs to make a Norwood Patch master playlist. We, of course, highly recommend finding these songs on your iTunes or somewhere hiding in your music collection (whatever form it may be in) and jam out to celebrate the start of another Norwood summer.
In no particular order, here is our list (spanning as many different genres and tastes as we possibly could):
1. Surfin' USA, by the Beach Boys: Really we could put entire Beach Boys albums on this list, but we'll stick with the one.
2. Summertime, by Kenny Chesney: Even if you're not a big country music fan, it's hard not to enjoy the relaxing guitar and smooth vocals of Chesney's summer anthem.
3. Summer of '69, by Bryan Adams: In a word, classic. Crank it up and roll the windows down.
4. Tessie, by The Dropkick Murphy's: Is there anything more gloriously summer than a Red Sox game at Fenway Park? And more specifically a Red Sox win at Fenway Park? If you've witnessed such a thing in recent years, then you've heard this DKM jam as you were leaving the park.
5. Summertime Blues, by Eddie Cochran: 'Cause there ain't no cure...
6. Summer Wind, by Frank Sinatra: For those cool summer nights when all you want to do is sit on the porch with a glass of lemonade.
7. Saturday in the Park, by Chicago: One of your editorial favorites for this list. Can you dig it?
8. Summer Love, by Justin Timberlake: If you are over the age of 16, you may roll your eyes at this choice, but you can not deny the inconic quality of JT in recent years, and this song has become a summer favorite for many.
9. Wasted Summers, by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones: Not an obviously summer song, but absolutely a song that will get your feet tapping and your body moving. Also, lead singer Dicky Barrett is a Norwood native!
10. School's Out, by Alice Cooper: Rock, roll and summer vacation, all in one.
11. Under the Boardwalk, by The Drifters: The name alone conjures images of warm, sandy beaches and ice cream cones on the boardwalk.
12. In the Summertime, by Mungo Jerry: This was the only major U.S. hit for this U.K. boys group, but has landed them a permanent place on summer playlists.
13. Sweet Caroline, by Neil Diamond: Another favorite of Red Sox fans, this song is simply, so good, so good, so good.
14. Summer Nights, by Rascal Flatts: One more editorial favorite, your Norwood Patch editor admits to playing this song on repeat the summer after it came out.
15. Feels Like Summer Again, by The Wallflowers: Embodying many of the emotions that summer brings around, The Wallflowers bring their rock style to our list.
We could go on, but why don't you? Add your favorite summer jams that we missed in the comments section!