Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. Candy, candy everywhere! For those of you who made out well trick-or-treating last night, be sure to check out the American Heart Association's tips on how to stay healthy while enjoying your sugary loot.
2. According to the American Red Cross, Hurricane Sandy has already caused the cancellation of about 300 blood drives and more cancellations are expected. So far, the cancellations have resulted in a shortfall of more than 10,700 blood and platelet donations across 14 states that would otherwise be available for those needing transfusions. The Red Cross is urging those in unaffected areas to donate if possible. The Donation Center in Dedham has appointments available from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 3 for blood donations.
3. The Friends of the Library Fall Book Sale will be held this weekend, with a preview event tomorrow from 1-4:45 p.m. for all Friends of the Morrill Library. Not a member? You can join at the library that day. The book sale will continue Saturday and Sunday.
4. Donate your gently used coats to the Norwood Rotary Coat Drive to benefit the Norwood Community Ecumenical Food Pantry. Donation locations are Town Hall, Public Safety Offices, Civic Center, Coakley Middle School, Norwood High School, Xaverian Brothers High School, Norwood Podiatry Offices, and the Senior Center.
5. The election is less than a week away! Check out our Norwood 2012 Election Guide for information on the candidates and issues on the ballot.