Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. Enjoy the Grace Episcopal Church Christmas Shoppe this weekend. Browse a bargain hunter’s delight for Christmas gifts and treasures at the annual event. Both new and gently used Christmas decorations and gift items at great prices!
2. The 2013 Elks Basketball Free-Throw Contest will be held this Friday and next, Dec. 7 and 14 from 5:30–7:00 p.m. in the Coakley Middle School gym. The contest is open to boys and girls ages 8 through 13. Students cannot reach age 14 before April 1, 2013. Basketball or tennis sneakers are necessary for all contestants. This is the local competition; winners may advance to the district, state, regional and national championships. The nationals are held at the National Basketball Hall of Fame in 2013 in Springfield, Mass.
3. The Norwood Parents Music Association is hosting the Madrigal Banquet at the Norwood Elks Club on Friday, Dec. 7. This annual event features the Norwood High School Madrigal Choir performing in a semi-formal cocktail and dinner setting. The event will open with a cocktail reception starting at 6 p.m. followed by dinner and the show at 7 p.m. Tickets are $35 per person. All proceeds help support music students at all levels of the Norwood music program.
4. Enjoy a Christmas Coffee House at the First Baptist Church Saturday, Dec. 8 at 7 p.m. with the Patrick DeStoop Band. There is no admission cost and refreshments will be served.
5. The Dedham Choral Society Christmas Concert presents "Christmas in Venice," celebrating the 400th Anniversary of Giovanni Gabrieli. The free concert consists of a 90 voice chorus and full orchestra in the Holy Name Church in West Roxbury at 8 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 7. There is no cost to attend.