Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. Experienced volunteer orchestral musicians are sought for Parkway Concert Orchestra's spring season. There are current openings in the orchestra for bassoon, horn, tuba and all strings (especially viola, cello and string bass). Music Director Matthew Fritz will conduct the 50 piece orchestra in classical and pops selections in weekly Monday night rehearsals beginning on January 7, preparing for concerts on March 3, March 10 and May 5. Open rehearsals will be held on January 7 and 14 from 7:30-9:30 p.m. at the First Congregational Church, 100 Winter Street, Norwood. For more information about the orchestra, call 781-444-5041 or visit the orchestra's web site at www.parkwayconcertorchestra.org.
2. Ready to get started on that New Year's resolution? New Horizon Health and Wellness is offering free weight loss consultations for the month of January.
3. The five-part Fiction 2 Film Series at the Morrill Library continues tonight at 6:30 p.m. with Thornton Wilder’s novella, The Bridge of San Luis Rey. Please register for each of the films in this series at either the Reference or Information Desk or call 781-769-0200, x110 or 222. A brief discussion will begin or follow the screening of the film.
4. Are you getting Norwood Patch's headlines in your email? You could be! Sign up for our daily or weekly newsletters!
5. The Children’s Department at the Morrill Library now has a circulating Cake Pan Collection. Each pan can be checked out for 3 weeks. The collection currently contains Barbie, Cookie Monster, Mickey Mouse, a Cross and more. Come take a look at the Cake Pan Notebook!