Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. The T.O.N.Y. Awards Committee in Norwood is looking for nominations for the Ten Outstanding Norwood Youth awards for 2012. The program is open to any 10-12 grade high school student who lives in Norwood. Nomination forms are sent to local schools as well as made available to the public at the Norwood Library and Civic Center. Any person over the age of 21 can nominate a student for the award. Nominations can be emailed to Norwood.TONY.Awards@gmail.com, or mailed to the address designated on the form. All forms are due by Oct. 31.
2. Are you getting Norwood Patch's headlines in your email? You could be! Sign up for our daily or weekly newsletters!
3. High school boys' and girls' teams for this year's combined St. Catherine's and St. Timothy's CYO Basketball program will be forming soon. A registration meeting will be held tonight from 7:30-8:30 p.m. in the St. Catherine of Siena School gym. Players must live within the parish boundaries of St. Catherine's or St. Timothy's or be a registered member of one of the parishes. For permission slips or fees, visit http://home.comcast.net/~r1435/site/. For more information or registration forms, email Rick at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. The National Fire Sprinkler Association (NFSA) recognizes October 7-13 as National Fire Prevention Week. National Fire Prevention Week is an annual public awareness campaign to promote fire safety throughout the U.S. This year’s theme is “Have 2 Ways Out!” which focuses on the importance of fire escape planning and practice.
5. Head over Beckett's Pub in Walpole on Wednesdays at 8:30 p.m. for Team Trivia Night. It is free and fun with prizes for the top four finishing teams.