Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. Norwood resident, columnist and author Debbie Spingarn will be at the Morrill Library tonight at 7 p.m. to talk about self-publishing, answer questions and provide handouts. She will address topics such as the advantages of self-publishing and where you can learn more about it, including her recent personal experience. Ms. Spingarn is the author of "Another Spin: Columns by a Newspaper Writer," which was published independently by Xlibris Press. Autographed copies of her book will be available for purchase. To sign up for this event, call the
2. Luminaries are now available for purchase for the Norwood Circle of Hope's annual Luminary Night, to be held Dec. 1. They are $5 each and available at Murph's Place or by contacting the Circle of Hope.
3. During the month of November the Morrill Library will accept donations of non-perishable food for fines incurred for overdue materials. All donations will go to the Norwood Food Pantry.
4. According to the American Red Cross, Hurricane Sandy has already caused the cancellation of about 300 blood drives and more cancellations are expected. So far, the cancellations have resulted in a shortfall of more than 10,700 blood and platelet donations across 14 states that would otherwise be available for those needing transfusions. The Red Cross is urging those in unaffected areas to donate if possible. The American Red Cross Donation Center in Dedham holds red blood donation drives Tuesday and Thursday from 12-7 p.m. Click the link to schedule an appointment. One pint of blood can save up to three lives.
5. Knee Pain? Learn more about MAKOplasty® at Norwood Hospital. The hospital is the first in the area to offer the surgery - a robotic-arm guided partial knee resurfacing. To learn more, attend a free seminar with orthopedic surgeons tonight at 6 p.m. in the Abraham Sieracki Conference Room at Norwood Hospital. Please register at 1-800-488-5959 or www.steward.org/MAKOplasty®.