Five Things You Need To Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. Norwood Animal Hospital is hosting its 3rd Annual "Help for the Holidays" Charity Yard Sale from 9 a.m to 2 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 6. This year's sale will be huge with everything from housewares to WWII collectibles, reel to reel projectors, old typewriters, Disney collectibles, old books, toys, craft supplies and yarn, Christmas decorations, yard decorations, furniture, clothes and more! All monies raised from this yard sale will be used to provide families in the Balch and Callahan School Districts with Thanksgiving dinners and holiday gifts. Due to very high traffic volume, please park in Hannaford's parking lot and use the crosswalk to safely cross Rte. 1A.
2. There will be an opening reception at Gallery9 at Custom Art Framing tonight from 6-8 p.m. First Friday art shows feature different artists each month. This month Gallery9's owner Julie Vecchio will show her fabric assemblages and pastels. Also, Kim Morin Weineck will showcase her new works in oil and pastel. There will be live music and light refreshments. For more information, call Custom Art Framing at 781-762-3300 or visit customartframing.com.
3. Head over to the Creative Harvest Craft Show at the Norwood Elks to see over 40 displays of crafts and gifts. Start your holiday shopping with handcrafted jewelry, local honey, pet treats, kids things, hand knits, dollclothes, handmade jackets, purses and other accessories, candles, skin care Tupperware, handmade cards and journals, and much more. Raffles will benefit the Norwood Elks scholarship funds, cost is $1 admission, seniors and children free.
4. Grace Episcopal Church will observe the Feast of St. Francis of Assisi on Sunday, Oct. 7 with Blessing of the Animals at the 10 a.m. worship service. The church welcomes pets of all kinds and the community is invited to bring their pets to be blessed. This special service marks the Feast of St. Francis, the saint who was especially close to animals.
5. Norwood Patch is looking for your fall foliage photos! Upload them to the gallery here, or send them to Kelly.Glista@Patch.com. Editor Kelly Glista has already uploaded some of her own, so check them out!