The accident, which remains under investigation, began at 2:09 a.m. when a 2004 Audi A4 lost control, struck the guardrail and spun around, so that it was facing oncoming traffic, according to a police statement Wednesday afternoon.
Three consecutive collisions followed. A total of seven vehicles were involved at the one crash site, at the Neponset Avenue exit on Route 95 Northbound.
The driver of the Audi that initiated the accident was Milton J. McCarthy, 23 of Dorchester, police said. He suffered serious injuries when his car was then struck by an oncoming vehicle and was transported to Boston Medical Center, where he is in critical condition.
"The facts and circumstances of the crash, including what caused the initial car to strike the guardrail and spin around, remain under investigation by Troop H of the Massachusetts State Police with the assistance of the State Police Collision Analysis and Reconstruction Section, the State Police Crime Scene Services Section, and the Norfolk County State Police Detective Unit," police said in the statement.
"That investigation will determine whether criminal charges are warranted."
Below are the names of the drivers and occupants involved in the accident:
- A 2004 Audi A4 operated by Milton J. McCarthy, 23, of Dorchester; transported to Boston Medical Center. A passenger in the Audi has been identified as Kendell R. Thomson, 25, of Boston.
- A 1998 Buick Riviera operated by Berardino M. Santeusanio Jr., 55, of Billerica.
- A 2008 Cadilac DTS operated by Haralambos Kosmidis, 75, of Jamaica Plain; transported to Norwood Hospital. A passenger, Elpida Kosmidis, 68, of Jamaica Plain; transported to Boston Medical Center. A passenger, Georgios Pantekidis, 78, of Jamaica Plain; transported to Norwood Hospital. The fourth occupant of the Cadilac sustained fatal injuries and was pronounced deceased at Norwood Hospital. She has been identified as Elefthria Pantekidis, 71, of Jamaica Plain.
- A 2009 Lincoln MKX operated by Paul F. Redmond, 62, of Dorchester. A passenger, Zachary M. Zinger, 24, of Brooklyn, New York.
- A 2002 Nissan Altima operated by Arnaldo R. Lopes, 32, of Brockton. A passenger, Samoel G. Antunes, 23 of Brockton. A passenger, Patrick R. Goncalves, 22, of Brockton.
- A 2000 Subaru Legacy operated by Ronald A. Gonzalez, 53, of Hyde Park.
- A 2007 Kia Spectr operated by Stacey Bourlos, 20, of Foxborough.